Day 108 – Best Lunch Break Ever

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” ~Thomas A. Edison

Miles height 20.1

Timeless and I wanted to get an early start, so we could have a longer break with Hugh today. So we started off at 5:30 AM, while it was still pretty dark outside. It lightened up pretty much by 6:15 AM and we we’re urged on by the thought of a hot lunch.

It was still a pretty rough trail for the first 10 miles.  The trail goes around a lot of streams and lakes where the roots of the trees are pretty much on the ground.

We climbed over some rocks on the streams and just kept our heads down and hiked. It was all about getting into Abol bridge.

And finally there she was!

We knew Hugh awaited us as soon as we crossed the bridge. You can see the RV in the picture below under the trees.

We were lucky enough that a man, that was taking pictures of rafters that were floating underneath us, took time to take our picture too. Then it was off to the RV.

What an awesome break! We lounged around for a couple of hours and then fixed a lunch of spaghetti, meatballs, bread and salad. It was exactly what we needed and so good to see the Hubster. We repacked our packs, leaving our tents behind, because we had a lean-to reserved at the campground. Then once again we set off.

We were entering Baxter State Park where Katahdin awaits us. The trail turned back into a WONDERFUL trail.

The waterfalls were everywhere!

We followed the river for the first hour of our afternoon hike.

Then we pasted “Big Niagara Falls”. It was a beautiful waterfall but it was NOT bigger than the real thing.

You cannot believe how man lake/ponds Maine has. And what the call a pond – we most definitely would call a lake.

We got to our lean-to (dang it I forgot to take a picture) it was getting dark. We blew up our air mattresses, unpacked our sleeping bags and settled in for the evening. After eating our sandwiches, we each curled up under our sleeping bags and read for a bit. It was a cold night. The temps were in the high 30’s, but we both stayed warm in our sleeping bags.

When checking in at the Ranger’s Station and getting our permit to climb Katahdin ( I was NoBo #581) we learned the weather was not going to be great for summiting tomorrow. We decided to make the call in the morning whether to go or wait a day.

At the base of the Big Rock Candy Mountain!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam Quiz: